Railway Rolling Stock
The requirements for the fire protection of railway rolling stock were very diverse, but under EN45545-2 the test procedures and classification within Europe are harmonised.
The risk to life and escape times for railways and trams vary a great deal depending on what proportion of time the train spends in tunnels.
Clearly, the level of smoke emission and toxicity of a fire in a contained space is a major hazard. With the drive to lighter more efficient structures the low smoke low toxicity Phyrolex flame retardants can make a major contribution to lightweight structures.
Typical resin systems that have been investigated for use with Phyrolex are:
- PU coatings for composites and aluminium: Phyrolex LFR produces excellent coatings to flame retard these substrates.
- Polysiloxane sealants: Phyrolex LFR produces excellent flame retardant and fire protective cold curing sealants
- Latex based resins for use on carpet backing and seat covers- Phyrolex LFR disperses into latexes and offers excellent protection.
- Rubber flooring: Phyrolex LFR provides good fire protection when used in this application
- Phyrolex LFR can provide excellent fire protection to rubber flooring.
- Phyrolex PCP can create outstanding coatings for protecting seat fabrics including thermoplastic types.
- Phyrolex LFR can produce excellent rigid and flexible foams for passing any fire test including the CRIB 7 seat test.
- Phyrolex PPEs can create outstanding phenolic foams and composite panels that can provide up to 60 minute bulkhead protection.
- Phyrolex PCP can create outstanding two pack varnishes and coatings with class leading performance. Our ready to go coatings have been Certified to HL3 under EN45545-2 for timber, epoxy and polyester, as well as achieving a Cat 1A under BS6853 on epoxy prepregs. In addition they have shown to be able to create up to 30 minute barrier panels under EN1381 on timber, epoxy and polyester.