The requirements for the fire protection of buildings covers both Reaction to Fire and Protection from Fire. Generally the Phyrolex products give excellent results to the reaction to fire requirements under the british, american and European harmonised fire test procedures. As the products are halogen free, the smoke and toxicity ratings of the Phyrolex modified products under fire test conditions are excellent.
Typical resins systems that have been investigated for use with Phyrolex are:
- Polyesters to form composites and pultruded sections: Phyrolex HMED and MDD offer excellent results with significant smoke reduction.
- PVC flooring: Phyrolex HMED offers excellent protection
- Latex based paints and sealants: Phyrolex MDD and HMED allows the creation of flame retardant paints and gunnable sealants
- Phyrolex HMED can produce excellent rigid and flexible foams for passing any fire test including the CRIB 7 seat test.
- Varnishes and Paints: Phyrolex PCP can create excellent paints and varnishes for protecting wood including aged oil finishes and composite materials such as EPS and PU sandwich panels. These coatings on timber susbtrates have achieved the following fire test results: Euroclass B under EN13823, Class O under BS 476 part 6, Class 1 under BS 476 part 7, Class A under ASTM E84
- Fire barriers: Phyrolex PCP can be used to create coatings that will upgrade particle boards to fire barriers capable of achieving at least 30 minutes protection under EN1381-2.